At the heart of the village, growing closer to the heart of God.
The Abbey Church is in the centre of the village of Ballasalla and now finds itself at the centre of the wider Parish too.
Services are held every Sunday at 11.00am using contemporary language.
T.A.S.K. (The Abbey Sunday Kids), meet each week during the Sunday service for their own time of learning together. One of the largest Sunday Schools on the Island, they regularly take part in preparing and leading our services.
The Abbey Choir and AMMP (our music group) lead our worship, offering a mix of traditional hymns and an increasing collection of newer songs.
Everyone is welcome to join us, and children of any age are especially welcome.
Next to the church is the Parish Hall which hosts a variety of events throughout the year, as well as providing coffee after our services.
Every Friday morning, between 10.00am and 12 noon,
Drop in for Coffee is held in the Hall.
Each year our famous ‘TT CAFE’ is held during the racing seasons, providing hot and cold food . This is always tremendously supported by visitors and locals alike.
” On 5th August 1853 a beautiful and convenient site, a portion of the grounds of the ancient Abbey of Rushen, was given to the Vicar and Churchwardens of Malew by the Reverend William Percival of Dorset, for the purpose of building a church to serve the village of Ballasalla, and an addition to the site was given by His Honour The Deemster Gill…. Owing to a lack of funds, no further steps were taken until 1893. In that year, the matter was warmly taken up by a few parishioners, and a large and influential meeting was held on 23rd March, under the presidency of the Lord Bishop of the Diocese, at which a committee was appointed to promote the erection of a church.
The design of Ewan Christian Esq, Architect, of London, was approved and a local builder’s estimate of £1,500 accepted.
The Foundation Stone of the new church was laid by Lady Ridgeway in 1885. In October 1897 the church was dedicated.