An ancient church at the centre of a farming community.
St Mark’s Church has stood for almost 250 years at the centre of the village community.
A much loved quiet space in the midst of the stunning manx landscape, worship continues here at 8am every Sunday morning using the familiar language of the Book of Common Prayer. Sometimes we sing a hymn, sometimes we simply pause as the morning breaks ready to embark on a new day.
The church is open daily from dawn until dusk and can be found at the centre of the village of St Marks on the A26 and the Millennium Way.
St Mark’s church was built in 1772 for the sum of £280 7s 1p as a Chapel of Ease to Malew Parish Church. The building remained very basic with earth floors until 1827 when the Rev. Clarke came to the village and undertook to improve not only the church but the roads and glebe farm. He was also responsible for securing funding to build a new parsonage and school. The church has some interesting features including a granite font, the original numbered roof rafters and tie beams along with a west gallery. The church has one stained glass window built by Kayll & Co dated 1899 and restored in 2005. Apart from the addition of a small vestry, the church has remained structurally unchanged since its consecration.
The Church members strive to use the church in different ways. Described in the visitors’ book by the many who visit throughout the year, ‘the church is a place of peace, beauty and tranquillity.’ It also has warmth and a welcoming atmosphere providing shelter to ramblers, cyclists and those wanting private prayer and meditation.
The modest furnishings of the church and mobility of most of them, ensures the nave and chancel are readily adapted to use for various high quality events in sympathy with the size, location and ambience of the church. This has included musical theatre, musical groups, choirs and illuminated presentations.
It is the intention of members of St Mark’s Church to use the church building in different ways. Our aims are:
To keep active and viable the church building within the small village of St Mark’s.
To continue to provide church services in accordance with the Church of England; in particular recognising the special events within the Christian Calendar.
To make available the church as a venue for appropriate arts.
To produce a source of income for the maintenance and restoration of the church.
To enable interested groups to raise money for outreach projects and charities.
To be a place for quiet prayer, meditation and reflection